Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Learning To Sew

Last November, my husband surprised me by bringing home a brand new Singer Confidence Quilter Sewing Machine from Joann's.  Not only was I surprised, I was crazy excited to finally learn how to sew. His mom & sister both are highly capable in this area and I was anxious to get into it. I took a class at Joann's for beginners in January and away I went! Now, I have a full host of things I've tried out so far. I've quickly learned that you can find small project Do It Yourself (DIY) instructions online for free so I have yet to buy a pattern! I don't know that I'm that interested in making clothes for myself so I may just stick to these small 1-2 hour projects. It's so rewarding!

Here are a few things I made, linked back to the site where I got the tutorial.

Reversible Purse - Small Handbag on Martha Stewart. Mom and I planned to use these for the Derby but since it rained it's still sitting unused. I think I may wear it to Jazzoo 2010.

Nursing Cover on Prudent Baby I found this tutorial and have no made several nursing covers. It's so easy and such a great gift! I have a few more to make for new mommies and I'm thinking I may try a few variances, but this is a crowd pleaser for sure!

Little Pillowcase Dress for my daughter also from Prudent Baby- This one was a little more difficult than I initially anticipated but it taught me a lot, like how to use bias tape and that if you don't do something with the edge of the ribbon, it frays terribly in the wash and gets all over everything else. :) She wore it on Easter and it was a little chilly so we layered it but it was still a hit!

Stay tuned for more projects!

No comments:

Post a Comment